11 June 2007

Minestrone

For the past few days, Hubby and I have been sick. We've both been hit with a tummy virus... not fun at all :( I just hope that Little One doesn't get it too.

Since we were both feeling under the weather, I thought we could do with some nourishing comfort food. I had already made my own chicken stock the day before so I decided to cook up minestrone. The base recipe I used was Neil Perry's from his book "The food I love". But me, being me, I couldn't but help put my own touch to it. The original recipe called for water but I decided to give it that extra lift and used my chicken stock (easily made from chicken bones, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper and simmered for 4 hours). Neil's version also didn't have any pasta but I added macaroni. When I first made this, I thought it didn't have that full tomato flavour that I like in minestrones so at the end of the long simmer, I added tomato sauce. Now don't laugh... this really works!

This is best served in a bowl sitting under a thick doona, in from of the TV snuggling with your loved one... and oh, with soft fresh bread.




  • 1 can of cannellini beans, drained

  • olive oil

  • 2 rashes of bacon, diced

  • 1 onion

  • 2 garlic cloves smashed

  • 3 celery stalks finely diced

  • 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced

  • sea salt and pepper

  • 2 tablespoons of tomato paste

  • 12 green beans, cut into 1cm pieces

  • 400g can chopped tomatoes

  • 2 litres of chicken stock

  • 2 bay leaves

  • 75grams macaroni pasta

  • handful of parsley leaves, chopped

  • 3-4 tablespoons of tomato sauce(or ketchup)

  • parmesan



  1. Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan and sweat the bacon.

  2. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot and salt. Sauté for about 7-8 minutes

  3. Add the tomato paste and beans and cook a further 2-3 minutes

  4. Add the tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves and the stock.

  5. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 40 to 50 minutes.

  6. Add the pasta, stir and cook for 9 minutes

  7. Add the cannellini beans and simmer for another 5 minutes

  8. Check the season, adding more salt and pepper if necessary and add the tomato sauce.

  9. To serve, remove the bay leaves and pour into bowls.

  10. Grate parmesan on top and serve with crusty bread

Minestrone @ Group Recipes




Bon Appetite
Cherrie

2 comments:

/* */
Anonymous said...

Oooh...I hope you're feeling better and that the little one didn't succumb.

You can't beat a good bowl of minestrone for a templefoodie meal. Hopefully it helped your tummy bug!

/* */ Cherrie Pie said...

Thanks Mellie, thank goodness the Litte One didn't get it too... (phew). The soup was of great comfort to both hubby and I

Related Posts with Thumbnails