8 February 2010

Muffuletta - The Perfect Picnic Sandwich


I've been wanting to make a muffuletta since I saw Giada make it on one of her shows.  I had the perfect chance to make one when we planned a visit to the Royal Melbourne Zoo for Hubby's birthday. 
I've always thought that muffuletta was an Italian sandwich.  However, after doing a little research, it's actually a type of Sicilian Bread and the actual sandwich was invented in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The best thing about this sandwich, as with any other sandwich, is that you can fill it with anything you like.  Traditionally it's filled with an olive salad or olive tapenade, various meats and cheeses.   I think it's best to make this on the morning of the day you plan on eating it.  That way it gives it a few hours for the flavours to meld together.  If taking on a picnic, I suggest first wrap in foil then cling wrap.


Take one loaf of your favourite bread

Hollow out the bread

Start layering your meats.  I used roast chicken and mortadella.
Make sure you layer on lots of meat. 

Layer on the salad (lettuce, cucumber, tomato)and cheese of your
choice.  I used a combination of tasty and swiss.  I also used
sun dried tomatoes and roasted capsicum.  On the lid of the
loaf spread a tapenade of your choice.  I used basil and parmesan.

Place the lid on top and squash down.  Cover with foil and 
leave for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.

When ready to eat, cut thick slices and enjoy.

YUM.

Bon appetite,
Cherrie

1 comments:

/* */ Trissa said...

That's gorgeous - perfect picnic food.

Related Posts with Thumbnails