Kulinarya was started by a group of Filipino foodies living in Sydney, who are passionate about the Filipino culture and it's colourful cuisine. Each month we will showcase a new dish along with their family recipes. By sharing these recipes we hope you find the same passion and love for Filipino food as we do.
This month's theme is "What Filipino dish (savoury or sweet) would you like to have on your birthday?"
There was no doubt in my mind what I wanted to do for this challenge. For every birthday, there has to be a birthday cake. My cake of choice is Pandan Chiffon Cake. I love all things pandan and so this is my ultimate cake. I don't like frosting on my pandan cake so just a dollop of macapuno cream goes perfectly to make it that little extra luxurious.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff and then gradually add 1/2 of the sugar.
- Mix flour, half of the sugar, oil, coconut milk, egg yolks, and a few drops of the Pandan extract.
- Mix egg whites and flour mixture together.
- Pour mixture into an angel food tin.
- Bake in moderate oven (180C/375F) for 35 minutes
- When cooked, take the pan and turn upside down and leave to cool completely.
To make the macapuno cream simple add macapuno from a jar to a bowl of whipped cream.
Check out what the other members of the Kulinarya Cooking Club made for this month's theme.
I've also entered this post in Sweets for a Saturday on Sweet as sugar cookies Blog.