This week's Filipino dish is apritandang Manok or Filipino Chicken Casserole. Again, there are many versions of this dish that can be found all over the Philippines. This dish originated from the Spanish when they ruled the country. I enjoy cooking this dish as with most of my recipes it's simple and very tasty.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small chicken cut into serving pieces
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 diced large onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbs black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 large cubed potatoes
- 1 green cubed capsicum
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and brown the chicken lightly. Then remove and set aside.
- Add garlic and stir-fry until golden. Then stir-fry the onions until translucent.
- Return the chicken and add the tomatoes, bay leaves, water, salt & pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add the potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes or until nearly cooked.
- Add the capsicum and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with plan steamed rice.