- 100g good quality dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 100ml milk
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- * Chocolate glaze *
- 210g (1 1/3 cups) pure icing sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 2 tbs boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line 12 medium (80ml / 1/3cup) muffin pans with large paper cases or use non-stick muffin pans.
- Place the chocolate, milk and cocoa in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Whisk constantly over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside until the mixture is lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition until well combined.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Use a metal spoon to fold in the flour, in 2 batches, until well combined.
- Half fill each muffin pan with the mixture. Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in the pans.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate glaze, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a medium heatproof bowl or the top of a double saucepan. Add the water and mix to a firm paste. Place over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water) and stir for 2-3 minutes or until warm and runny.
- Remove the cakes from the pans and use a small pallet knife to spread the warm glaze over the top of each. Set aside for 15minutes for the glaze to set before serving.