11 February 2011

Zucchini and Walnut Loaf


I love this!  I've never had a vegetable in a cake/loaf before.  I wanted to try this because my brother @MrEdwardPuzon was abundant with zucchinis.  It's a little dense because it's a loaf.  And because it's dense, it's best served smothered with butter and jam.


3 eggs
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 finely grated zucchini
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
extra chopped walnuts

1.  Preaheat oven to 180degC.  Grease 15cm X 25cm loaf pan and line the base and long side with baking paper with 2cm overhanging the sides
2.  Beat the eggs,m sugar and oil in a bowl with electric mixer until combines.  Add the zucchini, nuts and sifted flours in 2 batches.  Mix to just combined.  Pour into the pan.  Sprinkle the extra chopped walnuts.
3.  Bake the load for about 1 1/4 hours or until cooked through.  Let stand in the tin for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack and let cool.

note: when you grate the zucchini, squeeze a little to get rid of some of the liquid. 


Bon Appetite,
Cherrie

4 comments:

/* */ Iron Chef Shellie said...

this is one I won't be making. I don't like zucchini, and I don't have much love for walnuts :P

However, i have had zucchini in a cake with caramel sauce and that wasn't too bad.
x

/* */ Hannah said...

I, however, love zucchini in all forms, so am adding this to my 'to make' list. Though I'm not the hugest fan of walnuts, a la ICS, so might sub in some chocolate chips!

/* */ penny aka jeroxie said...

This loaf of bread looks great! I will have to try vegetable in bread. Always wanted to.

/* */ eatmarvin said...

Wow that looks yummy! Although it has zucchini, which i usually associate with vegetables rather than a loaf. Good recipe too! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails