12 May 2010

Filipino Dumpling Soup and Deep Fried Dumplings. An International Incident.

Another International Incident Party and this time, it's a dumplings party.  If you follow me on twitter, you will know that I was stressed about my dumplings however I had plenty of help from Penny from Jeroxie - Addictive & Consuming blog and she reminded me that this party was  meant to be fun and not stressful.  After finally deciding what I was going to make, it started to be fun. 

I decided to make two versions.  I wanted my first dumplings to be traditional so I decided to make a Filipino version and did a little research and found Pancit Molo.  


Filipino Dumpling Soup or Pancit Molo looks and tastes a lot  like a Chinese Dumpling Soup, simply because it is.  The Chinese in the Philippines have influenced not only some of our culture but, of course, our food.  This dish was named after a district in the province, Iloilo and unlike other pancit (noodle) dishes, this is a wet dish and there's no actual noodles.  The wonton is considered to be the noodle.



To make mine that extra special, I made the chicken stock from scratch.  I was able to control the flavour and balance of the broth.


For my other version, I also decided to deep fry a few of the dumplings.  I knew my daughter, would love these.  She is, after all, my toughest critic.  I am happy to say, she loved it.  "Mummy, I love the texture.  It's so light"  Hahaha!  She has been watching Masterchef Australia with me


I have never made dumplings before so I had many questions. Most of them about the wrapper.  I wanted to make my own wrappers and I was given a couple of different good recipes.  However, after doing a bit of research and asking questions, I opted to buy my wonton wrappers


The filling is definitely Chinese inspired with the classic mixture of pork and prawn.  I did not finely mince the prawn as I wanted a little more texture with the mixture.   


To wrap the dumplings, I felt the most stressed.  However, I was guided to a great website http://www.asiandumplingtips.com  Andrea Nguyen has great tips and instructional videos on all thing dumplings.  I was able to easily follow her instructions and got into a routine and made plenty of dumplings in no time.







  • CHICKEN STOCK
  • 1kg chicken bones
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 celery sticks, chopped
  • 1 carrot chopped
  • salt
  • pepper corns
  • 4 bay leaves
  • .
  • DUMPLINGS
  • 220g fresh prawns, deveined and minced
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 200g mince pork
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp fish sauce
  • 1/2 ground black pepper
  • wonton wrappers
  • .
  • Spring onions
  • 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 2 tbl oil
  1. In a large pot, add all the ingredients for the stock. Add enough water to cover. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
  2. In a bowl, mix the pork, prawn and half the onions. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Take one wonton wrapper. Place 1 tsp of the mixture in the center and fold over to create a triangle. Seal with water. Take the corners on the left and right sides, dab with water and bring the sides together and press together. Repeat for all the dumplings
  4. In a pot add the rest of the chopped onions and garlic. Sauté till lightly browned.
  5. Pour 6 cups of stock into the pot and let it come to a gentle simmer.
  6. Add the dumplings and poached. It will rise to the top when cooked. This will take about 5 minutes.
  7. Add the spring onions and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
  8. Serve immediately and garnish with a spring onion stem.
Filipino Dumpling Soup Pancit Molo @ Group Recipes






Now that I've finally made my dumplings, I am very happy with the way it turned out.  I'm extremely happy that my family loved it as much as I did.  I am not scared about making my own dumplings anymore but I think I want to try my hand at making fresh wrappers.

Bon Appetite,
Cherrie

IIP dumplings banner

20 comments:

/* */ Anh said...

You have done such a great job! I will 'borrow' your chicken stock real soon.

/* */ penny aka jeroxie said...

Looks lovely! And will copy chicken stock recipe... heh! And I am so glad that you had fun :)

/* */ Agnes said...

Good work, Cherrie! They look really good and I'm sure they were warming and tasty.

Your daughter is so cute too! :)

/* */ Shirley said...

You've wrapped them really well. Yes Penny's right parties are supposed to be fun!

/* */ Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

You were stressed about wrapping them? Looks like you've been doing it for years! Amazing results!

/* */ Emma @CakeMistress said...

Yay, you conquered your dumpling fear! Great job.
Loved your mini Masterchef's commentary. That's so adorable :)

/* */ Edward Puzon said...

Yes, they do look delicious....Maricar wants to know if there is any left overs? Yes or No?

/* */
Anonymous said...

These are great! I love both the traditional Filipino version and the deep-fried ones, yum!

/* */ Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz said...

Both versions look awesome, but I am partial to the Filipino one, looks amazing.

/* */ Tasty Trix said...

I would never guess that you haven't made dumplings before. Never! ANd that's like, 500 extra points for making your own stock!

/* */ Mardi Michels said...

Yes ditto what Trix said about making your own stock!!! And they look totally professional. Unlike mine which fell apart!

/* */ Asha @ FSK said...

Oh! that is one fantastic look soup!! me wants, like right now!!! I had cereal for dinner :( coulda had that... yumm!!

/* */ Tangled Noodle said...

I am so awed that you made the broth from scratch and the dumplings look perfect! I am such a fan of Andrea Nguyen - her sauce really added a kick to my submission, and I'm determined to make as many of the dumplings in her book as possible. But first, I seriously need a bowl of this pancit molo. What an excellent dish you've made!

/* */ Trissa said...

I love molo soup - this is one of the greatest comfort foods for me.

/* */ A cupcake or two said...

Molo soup is my absolute favourite for winter. My mum makes a huge pot of it during birthday parties and we sit out in the backyard chatting and sipping on hot soup. Its a Eugenio tradition. I love how plump your dumplings are. Some people tend to be a little stingy on the filling.

/* */
Anonymous said...

It seemed that you worried for nothing. Both of your dumplings look amazing. You daughter is very lucky that you share your passion of food with her. Her food critiquing skills are quite advanced! I am proud that my daughters can identify most major herbs by sight and smell. Thanks for sharing!

/* */ Unknown said...

Wow..these look fantastic. Looking at the photos I would have thought you'd made dumplings every day of your life - they look amazing and sound yum! Leigh

/* */ GearedToCook said...

These look gorgeous and are making my stomach rumble! After making your own chicken stock, makes sense to bypass wrappers from scratch. But making them is on my to-do list too :)

/* */ Jo - SecondHelping said...

Yay - for you for overcoming your fear & having fun. And from the looks of it, no need to fear at all. What sensational look dumplings you turned out.

As you said, if you can please your toughest critic (your daughter) what more do you need?!

/* */ Trisha said...

Those are perfectly shaped dumplings!!! Reminds me of when we used to eat in Binondo or in Divisoria back in Manila... mmmmmm love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails