11 January 2010

The Cook Book Challenge - Week 8 : Sweet




Week 8 : Sweet
Recipe :  "Chocolate Chip" Cookies
Cook Book : Sydney Food by Bill Granger




I've had this book for many years now but like most of my cook books, I don't use it often.  However, this chocolate chip cookie recipe from "Sydney Food", I've baked numerous times.

For this week's challenge, I used the same recipe from Bill Granger's Book but I thought I'd change it up a bit.   Since Christmas our house has been full of chocolates and sweets and we are slowly making our way through them.  (happily, may I add)  For some reason, we still had a packet of Harry's Rocky Road.  I found Harry (also known as Ben Dillon) through Twitter and was happy to find out that they are located in Bendigo, Country Victoria.  Ever since, Hubby and I have been purchasing all our Rocky Road needs from him.

For this recipe, I used one packet of Harry's Caramel Rocky Road.  I love this idea.  The cookie itself is chewing but the components from the rocky road gives it another dimension.  The caramel gives it a crunch while the marshmallow gives you pockets of vanilla fluffiness.



125g unsalted butter, softened.
1 1/4 cups tightly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
250g of Harry's Rocky Road (any flavour ), roughly chopped or 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180degC.  Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and creamy.  Add vanilla and egg and stir to combine.  Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.  Fold through the  rocky road.

Place spoonfuls of cookie mixture on a lined baking tray, allowing room for spreading.  Cook for 15-20 minutes, until they turn pale gold.

Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before placing biscuits on a wire rack to cool further.






Bon Appetite,
Cherrie

6 comments:

/* */ Rilsta @ My Food Trail said...

Yum, they look delicious and I can see some of the caramel from the rocky road in the cookies. *drool* Good use of the rocky road!

/* */ Agnes said...

Ah that's a great idea, putting rocky road into the biscuits!

/* */ penny aka jeroxie said...

I need a cup of tea to go with this. I could have at least half a dozen now.

/* */ Iron Chef Shellie said...

Sweet theme covered exceptionally well!!

/* */ Trissa said...

Your chocolate chip cookies with the rocky road is a genius idea!!

/* */ Cherrie Pie said...

Rilsta, There caramel in the cookie gives it a crunch. Yum.

Agnes, Maybe there are other things I can try in my cookies too?

Penny, I can eat more than that in one sitting! lol

Shellie, thanks,

Trissa, thanks. It came about because we had so many left over after Christmas.

Related Posts with Thumbnails