This week's dish is Torta. Now, torta can mean a lot of different things to different people. In Mexico it's a sandwich and in Spain it's a cake or omlette. In my family, a Filipino torta is traditionally made of minced pork however as most dishes I cook, I have altered it a little suit what was in my pantry.
I have adapted this recipe to use a can of corned beef instead. I don't know what it is, but Filipinos love canned corned beef (especially the Hamper brand). Hubby and the little one both love this and it so quick and easy to make, that we have this meal quite often.
- 340g roughly cut corned beef (Hamper Brand)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- In a frying pan with hot oil sauté garlic & onions for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add corned beef and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan a place in bowl. Cool for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Once cooled, add egg.
- In the same frying pan with more hot oil place about 2 - 3 tbls of the mixture and form into rough patties.
- Cook on both sides; 2 - 3 minutes per side. Be careful when flipping so as to not break up the patties too much.
- Serve with plain rice.