For my first challenge, I chose to cook Bistek. This is a staple in my mum's home. She cooks it often and it's one of the dishes that hubby really likes to eat. Tonight the little one tasted it for the first time too :)
The recipe is very simple and easy to follow. I usually do this one by eye so the amounts of the ingredients below are approximates.
for 2 ppl
- 400grams of beef fillet, thinly sliced
- 75ml light soy sauce
- 75ml dark soy sauce
- 250ml water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in rings
- In a pan add the beef, along with the soy sauces, water and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for about 10-15 mins until the beef is tender. Taste the sauce. If it's too sour, add more soy sauce or if too salty, add more lemon juice. It should be a balance of sourness and saltiness.
- Once tender, remove the liquid to a bowl and leave aside. Let any remaining liquid in the pan evaporate off then add the oil. Gently fry the beef for a couple of minutes then add the onions. Cook till the onions are translucent and still have a little crunch. Add back the liquid and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with steam rice.
Bistek Filipino Style Beef Steak @ Group Recipes