Theme : Stonefruit
Cookbook : Bill Granger - Every Day
Recipe : Peach and Mixed Berry Slice
So... Here I am again. Another cookbook challenge but this time, I'm determined to see this challenge all the way through. After much discussion on twitter and at our cookbook finale lunch, it was decided to change it from weekly to fortnightly themes. This will make it easier for all participants to keep up. Talking from experience, if you fall behind, even a week, it's very hard to catch up.
I have decided to use Peaches for this fortnight's theme of stone fruit. It is one of my favourite fruits. Even though I don't usually cook fruit, as I like to eat them fresh, I decided to make a slice that also includes berries. I used frozen berries but by all means use fresh ones.
I loved this. It's sweet and tart, chewy and crunchy. It was a hit with the family. It is something I would make again.
185g Plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp extra
125g chilled and diced butter
115g soft brown sugar
115g caster sugar
3 ripe peaches
90g frozen berries
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 160degC fanforced and grease and line the base of a baking tray 20 x 30cm.
2. Peel the peaches by scoring a cross in the skin with a sharp knife, then blanch for 30 seconds in boiling water. Refresh in cold water and peel the skin away from the cross. Slice into wedges.
3. In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder then rub in the butter with your fingertips. Stir in both sugars.
4. Press half of the mixture over the base of the tray. Lay the peaches over the top and sprinkle with the berries.
5. In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk and vanilla extract. Add the extra baking powder tot he rest of the base mixture. Add your wet ingredients and mix. Don't worry if it's lumpy
6. Pour evenly over the top of the fruit and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool in the tray then cut into squares when ready to serve.
If you would like to join, please register here.