As usual, during the rare times when I don't have much to do, I flick through my cookbooks and food magazines. I barely got to the first page of "Woman's Day Sweet Treats" when Hubby stopped me. He saw the photo of the Citrus cheesecake and asked me to bake it for him. So I obliged.
I did end up making the cheesecake but changed it a bit. I didn't have any oranges to add so instead of having a citrus cheesecake, I made a lemon and lime one. I really love the macadamia praline. Be careful when making the toffee. It takes a while for the sugar and water to take on any colour but once it does, it turns dark rather quickly.
150g Plain biscuits, crushed ( I used Marie biscuits)
90g butter, melted
750g cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup cream
1/2 cup plain flour
3 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp lime zest
3/4 cup halved macadamias, toasted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 160deg. Prepare a 23cm round spring form tin.
2. In a bowl, combine the biscuit crumbs and melted butter and mix well. Press the mixture firmly into the base of the tin. Place in refrigerator for at least 20mins.
3. For the filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beat in well after adding each one. Add the flour and zest and beat till smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into the base and bake for 50-55 minutes. Once cooked, turn off oven and with the door ajar, leave the cheesecake in until completely cooled.
5. To make the macadamia praline, line a oven tray with baking paper and sprinkle the macadamias onto it. In a saucepan, combine sugar and water. Stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, without stirring for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Pour toffee thinly over the nuts. Set aside until set.
6. Break the praline into pieces and sprinkle on top of the cooled cheesecake.