7 March 2010

The Cook Book Challenge - Week 16 : Noodles





Week 16 : Noodles
Recipe :  Noodle salad with crispy tofu
Cook Book : Off the shelf - cooking from the pantry by Donna Hay

I have collected a few Donna Hay books along the way.  She has quick easy recipe ideas that you can make during the week or a busy weekend.



I have quite a few cook books that have noodle recipes.  Probably because I have a lot of Asian cook books.  I decided on this noodle salad with crispy tofu because of a number of reasons.  Firstly, It was a weekday and I just finished a busy shift at the shop so I needed something quick and easy, as well as tasty.  Secondly, I was looking for a vegetarian dish.  We have been having lots of meat and needed change it up a little and finally, I had most ingredients in my pantry and fridge.

I changed the recipe a bit (as I usually do).  With salads, it's easy to change to suit your taste.  Instead of going for plain tofu, I opted for satay marinated ones. I thought it would go perfectly as there were peanuts in the salad.  Speaking of peanuts, I found some nice hot chilli roasted peanuts, which went perfectly.  The dressing was changed too.  I found that the amount of sesame oil in the recipe was too much.  The smell and taste was too strong and that was all I could taste, so I added more lemon juice and soy sauce.  I've adjusted the recipe below.

Hubby and I enjoyed this salad.  It was perfect for a warm day.  It was fresh and had layers of different colours and textures.


  • 400g egg noodles
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil
  • 375g firm tofu, thinly sliced
  • 1 carrot, julienned
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
  • 1 cucumber, sliced lengthwise
  • dressing -
  • 1/2 tbl sesame oil
  • 3 tbl soy sauce
  • 1 tbl lemon juice
  • coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish
  1. Follow instructions on how to cook the noodles on the packet
  2. Heat frying pan over high heat. Add the oil and fry the tofu until crisp (about 5 minutes). Drain.
  3. Make the dressing by combining the dressing ingredients.
  4. To serve, toss the noodles with the tofu, carrots, peanuts and dressing. Place the cucumber on serving plates and top the the salad.
  5. Garnish with the coriander and more peanuts.
http://www.grouprecipes.com/111718/noodle-salad-with-crispy-noodle.html




Bon Appetite,
Cherrie

5 comments:

/* */ Caroline said...

Love Donna Hay but her mags are not readily available here. :(
That looks so delicious and very easy to prepare, love noodles.

/* */ Trissa said...

Salad looks gorgeous Cherrie! Perfect vegetarian meal that quick and easy to prepare.

/* */ Divina Pe said...

I can't live without noodles and probably most Asians can't live without it. The noodle dish is definitely a winner.

/* */ Hannah said...

Sesame oil is definitely something that's better in moderation! Love your substitutions - satay and extra chili never go astray in my book :)

/* */ April @ My Food Trail said...

Your noodle salad looks really healthy and I love the addition of the crispy tofu!

Related Posts with Thumbnails